Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Dad Lessons


My husband does a lot of things right when it comes to raising the boys.

I know what you’re thinking…but no, faithful readers, that is not a typo.

I like to give credit where credit is due.  And my husband deserves some.  And although I’m usually giving him credit for things like leaving dishes in the sink or forgetting to pick up milk, today I’m giving him credit for other reasons.  For dad reasons.

I have taught my boys a lot (quick back pat) but the truth of the matter is there are some things that I would never think of going over with them.

I’ve covered most of the big important lessons.  Like how to match an outfit. 

Carter used to come down dressed head to toe in one color.  So I taught him “Dark on the top, light on the bottom.  Light on the top, dark on the bottom.” 

These are crucial nuggets of wisdom, people.

My husband, however, always finds time to go over the little insignificant things with them…like math, for example. 

Who needs math?  I don’t think anyone, but Mike disagrees.  So he goes over skills like that with the kids.  Don’t know why he bothers, but bless his heart!

He’s also into teaching the boys their left from their right. 

I personally don’t think you need to go over and over it…just hold up your hands and make an L to figure out your left (you’ve done it, don’t lie.) But even with that little trick sometimes I still mess it up.

One night when we were first dating we went out to dinner in my hometown.  So I was navigating as he was driving:

“Ok up here take a left.  A left, so get in that lane.  What the hell are you doing?  I said LEFT!”

“I DID take a left!”

“Oh…I meant right then.”

Little memories like that are probably the reason he took it upon himself to teach direction.

Since we have boys I have decided that I’m going to let my husband do all of the “body” talks.  Your voice is changing and you’re getting hairy, you’re such a man, etc. etc. etc.

Mike takes his roll seriously.  He’s taught them many, many things about their bodies.  Personal hygiene is among the topics they’ve covered. 
I know this because one day after using the potty Carter asked me: “Mom, do I have any smeg on my ween?”

I’m sorry, do you have what on your what? 

I would ask you to elaborate on your issue but I think “smeg on the ween” is a go-ask-your-father kind of problem.

The other thing Mike covers with the kids is pop culture.  I showed them who Elmo is, who Mickey is and who Thomas is. But Dad thinks there are other important people in this world and our kids need to know they exist.

One night I was tucking Grant into bed…

“Have a good night’s sleep and get some rest.  I love you, baby!”

And my beautiful son looked up with his big blue eyes and said very matter-of-factly:

“Chaka Kahn is a singer, Mama.”
 

Now, see!  I would never in a million years have thought that was vital information for a 2 year old to have.

Dad lessons.

1 comment: